Devonport Warriors is the biggest club in the North West Basketball Union and one of the largest in Tasmania. The club has over 750 registered members both male and female, from age 7 and upwards. In 2006 the club launched a new brand, increased the profile of the club and as a result has achieved an increase of over 350 new members during the year.
The club was formed in 1949 when George Russell, a National Fitness Council Officer, introduced the sport to Devonport, with early games being played on outdoor courts on the fire brigade track at the Devonport Oval and the Devonport Convent School and soon after in the Drill hall (now the venue for the Devonport Youth Services group known as the Loading Zone. George’s foresight also led to the construction of the Devonport Youth Centre in 1956 and later the Devonport Sports Stadium in 1963, located in Forbes Street.
The club has representative teams in both senior men and women Coastal NWBU competitions and is represented in every junior age group (10-22’s) in the Junior NWBU Roster, both boys and girls.